"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Wisdom Teeth Chronicles: Day 1

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to spend the better part of my morning drugged up at the hospital getting my wisdom teeth surgically removed. And then I was unlucky enough to spend the remainder of the day on my couch watching movies, sleeping and eating ice cream.

For all you worry-warts, don't worry the procedure went fine. I didn't even try to kill the nurse who put the IV in my arm. And it turns out that I'm pretty funny when I'm on a mild Anesthetic.

Now this has all been relayed to me second hand, because I don't remember saying any of it, but apparently, they started hooking my vitals up to the machines and I said "Oh this is just like being on House!" Score one for knowing that even when I'm drugged up I still love TV more than I'm worried about my own life.

And then apparently after the surgery was over, the doctor asked me "How do you feel?" to which I responded "Is the IV out?" to which he responded "Yes" to which I responded "This is my favorite place on earth. You can all come to my wedding." So I have that to laugh about forever.

Of course it wouldn't be a trip to the hospital if I wasn't difficult in some way, so following the surgery I threw up twice. Which is pretty impressive if you ask me because 1. There wasn't anything in my stomach and 2. The damn procedure was completely over by that point. Score two for overreacting after the fact as usual.

Then after a drive home I barely remember I somehow made it to my family room couch, from which I didn't budge for the next 8 hours. I did something completely unprecedented in my 20 and 1/2 years of life: I put Fantasia in on DVD, watched the first three seconds of the film with Dean Taylor, and then fell asleep until Ave Maria. This I still cannot believe, because I usually watch all of Bach's Toccata and Fugue and The Nutcracker Suite, fall asleep until Beethoven's Sixth and then get really upset when I wake up and I've missed the Mussorgsky and Ave Maria ending. Ridiculous.

After that oddity I watched Fantasia 2000, where I at least managed to stay awake the full three minutes it takes to watch Beethoven's Fifth and then fell completely asleep until Firebird. Which was again weird because I didn't watch Rhapsody in Blue or the Flamingo song.

So following those two mishaps, I managed to successfully stay awake for the entirety of Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Newsies. Which was great because I nearly forgot that I knew all of the words to all of both of those films, but not so great because I could barely open my mouth wide enough to say all of them. This was of course to the dismay of Alexa, who sat with my all day and was devastated I couldn't sing along to all of our favorite musical moments.

So now I have another full day of couch arrest watching movies because our cable is out from the massive Thunderstorm/Tornado I slept through. Visitors are welcome, and recommended to bring some form of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment