"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 4: Favorite drama

When I say favorite drama, I mean favorite drama. And I'm not talking about some sad but sweet Nicholas Sparks books turned film piece of teenage crap. I grew up on hard knox dramas that my mother made me watch. And if you couldn't say at the end of the movie "that was one of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life" then it wasn't worth watching. For all you old school film buffs, my Mom's three favorite films are Terms of Endearment, Funny Girl, and Brian's Song. She and I agree that Schindler's List is the best film ever made. So what's my favorite drama? The Dead Poet's Society.

Now I admit, I'm predisposed to like this film because it deals with a lot of English poets. And I think that Shakespeare is pretty great.  But it is a really well made film for anyone who isn't in to that sort of thing also.  Robin Williams gives what I think is the best combination of his dramatic and comedic acting of his entire career to date as Professor Keating, and the supporting cast is equally impressive.  A very young Robert Sean Leonard (later to be known as Wilson on "House") stars as Keating's most eager pupil to "Carpe Diem" and gives an extremely memorable performance.

4 out of 4 stars.  An amazing film, but be sure to bring your tissue box.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my top 5 all-time favorite movies. Without question.

    ReplyDelete