"The Definition of Insanity is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" - Albert Einstein

Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 7 - Favorite Animated Feature

There are few movies that I really love to watch over and over that I don't gain anything new from.  I usually only re-watch films if I they make me feel a certain way again or if I can learn something different about them from what I had seen before.

I never really get anything different from my repeated viewings of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000.  I just enjoy watching them.  They are my sick day movies, and every time I watch them, I get better.  No seriously, I will be cured of my illness after watching both of them.  Every time.  

Fantasia 2000 is actually my favorite of the two, which seems like blasphemy but it isn't really, because it is a better presented movie, with more interesting musical and animated choices.  Also, the choice to use various different hosts to present each individual number is a a leap and bound above Dean Taylor, who introduces every single piece of the original Fantasia in a monotone drone usually complete with a pun or a less than interesting historical fact.  For what it's worth though, I do like his banter with the animated Soundtrack in the first film's intermission.  And the first one has that terrible version of "Rite of Spring" where life on earth is explained from cell form until the death of the dinosaurs.  It drags.  You try to tell me that is as good as the Firebird Finale in the later film.  Yea Right.  

And given all of that, my favorite individual sketch is still the Nutcracker Suite from the original.  Those dancing fairies are just so great.  

Watch either one next time you are ill, or just want to feel classier than you normally do.  So worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment